There are three steps involved in Keyword Planning:
Let us understand each step in detail
- The first step under Keyword Planning is to create a pool of approx 300-500 keywords. Make sure you focus on Primary, Secondary and Sub Secondary keywords.
- Log on to Google Ads.
- On the top right corner, you will see “Sign in” button, sign in to Adwords using your Gmail account.
- Once you are on the Google Ads inter-phase click on the tools navigation bar.
- It will open up a pop-down menu, click on keyword planner in the pop-down menu.
- On this window click on “search for keywords using a phrase website or category.”
- Once you click on this tab it will open up a pop down. From the pool of keywords that you created in step 1 pick up the first keyword and enter it in the first column.
- Select the targeting option. Kindly note that the targeting should be selected according to your target market under search step. After selecting the targeting option you have to save the page.
- Click on get ideas.
- Once you are on the keyword planner inter-phase, you will notice two tabs – 1) Adgroup ideas, 2) Keyword Ideas. Adgroup ideas are to be used under Google Ads. Keyword ideas are meant for SEO.
- Click on keyword ideas.
- Once you click on keyword ideas, the inter-phase shows you a bar diagram which relates to last 12 months searches on that particular keyword. When you hover your cursor on any of the bar it will show you searches for that particular month (each bar represents a month). THE NO. OF SEARCHES SHOWN IN THE BAR DIAGRAM REPRESENTS BROAD MATCH SEARCH. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CONSIDER BROAD MATCH SEARCHES.
- Once you scroll down under the tab keyword ideas, you will notice exact match searches for the keyword you typed in. For SEO purposes we only have to consider average monthly searches. Do not take into account the competition on that particular keyword.
- Revert back to your original list of keywords and search for each and every keyword using the keyword planner tool. Please note the exact match related to that particular keyword and note down in your excel sheet.
- Eliminate the keywords with low or zero searches.
- Remember the original pool of keywords(we call this as a elimination round)
THIS MARKS THE END OF THE SEARCH STEP
- The next step is categorization under keyword planning. Under this step, you have to create different pools of keywords related to to different categories. For e.g. location, interest, gender, high searched and low searched keywords.
- From the original pool of keywords left after the elimination round, check for the trend of average monthly searches. For e.g. let suppose you are left with 200 keywords and while checking the trend, you realize that the average trend followed by most of your keywords is below 100, you will have to differentiate exceptionally high searched keywords (say out of the pool of 200 keywords, 190 keywords are below 100 monthly searches and remaining 10 keywords are exceptionally high) so, you will cut those exceptionally high keywords and paste them under the high searched keywords category.
- In the original pool of keywords, you need to calculate the average of all the monthly searches. For e.g. you are left with 5 keywords – A, B, C, D & E, and their average monthly searches are 2,3,5,3,2 respectively so the average will be:
In this e.g the result 3 would act as a benchmark to differentiate the high and low searched keywords. All those keywords which have monthly searches greater than 3 would be considered as high searched keywords (cut those keywords and paste them under high search along with monthly searches.) All those keywords which have average monthly searches less than 3 cut them and paste them under low searched keywords.
- Under the high searched keywords category, we need to consider the quantity competition on those keywords ( competition are of two types-quantity and quality)
- Simply go to google.com and search for that particular keyword. The no. of search results on that particular keyword denotes quantity competition. For e.g., if you are using mobile as a keyword and while searching on Google you get a search result of 5,16, 00,000, this simply means that the keyword mobile you have to compete with 5,16,00,000 web pages
- Search for each and every keyword under the category – “high searched keywords” to determine the quantity of competition in all the keywords
- To calculate high and low search competition, repeat the procedure followed in step no.19.
- In order to decide the right combination of keyword, you have to select the best combination of keywords from below mentioned set of combinations –
- High search High competition – Select
- High search low competition – Best
- Low search High competition – Reject
- Low search Low competition – Reject
- In order to see the current trend, you can log on to Google trends.
- A Google trend is a tool to determine interest over the time of a particular keyword according to the time range that you select. It is advisable to search for past 12 months.
- Keyword planning can be done effectively in this way.
Once you have finalized the keyword set, now you segregate them in different types of keywords mentioned in my next blog Types of Keywords